We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
For a gaming lover, Wii is nothing new. Nintendo Wii has been around since 2006 and happens to be one of the best gaming consoles out there. But can you connect a Wii to a projector to play on a wider screen? Let’s find out!
Wii has gained popularity overtime. The devices functions with motion control technology and offers games for every age group. If you love playing games then trust us when we say, Wii can literally glue you to your screen for all day long.
Table of Contents
Can you connect a Wii to a Projector?
Yes you can! Playing on a projector with a Wii is far more exciting than playing it on the TV. Especially if you have installed a designated stereo system. You will have a much more dynamic experience.
Playing on a TV with a Wii is ok when you’re playing by yourself. But if you want to have friends over or play with a few more opponents, then a projector screen is truly going to alter your entire experience. Everyone wants to be a full part of the game so, this is where you can connect your Wii to the projector and start playing.
Available ports on Nintendo Wii
Wii features various ports that you can use to connect the system with different devices such as USB keyboard, LAN adapter, TV, projectors and so on.
Following are the ports you will find on a Wii
- Two USB ports on the rear side
- Power connectors
- Video input
You can use both of the USB ports to connect with different USB hubs conveniently. In our experience, Wii provided optimal functionality when it was connected with a projector offering AV connection. However, all the latest projectors don’t offer AV connection anymore. They feature HDMI port. But don’t worry, you can still connect a Wii to a projector but before you do it, here are a few things you should keep in mind.
Things to consider before you connect Wii to a projector
- Link your sound system, if you have one, with the AV port to your gaming console. In case your sound system doesn’t come with an AV port, you can have it connect via HDMI port. But, you are going to need an adapter for this which you can purchase separately.
- The most important part of connecting a Wii to a projector is the placement. Make sure the Wii is in front of you because if it isn’t, the device will fail to detect your motion. Also, don’t place it right in front of the screen. Instead try placing it below the screen for better viewing.
- Another important factor that is going to play an important role is the placement of the projector. Since Wii uses motion technology, chances are you will block the projector from casting lumens on the sheet during the game. So, keep it on the other side of the room or hang it with the ceiling. This way, you can rest assured that projection won’t be disrupted.
Our top choices for Wii projectors are mentioned below,
ViewSonic M2 1080p Portable Projector
There are different methods through which you can connect a Wii to a projector. We are explaining some of these methods below,
What comes in the Wii box?
Whether you can connect a Wii to a projector can only be determined by all the essentials you get in the Wii box. Here are the accessories you will find once you unbox Nintendo Wii.
- Nintendo Wii
- Four remote controllers that you can connect to the Wii via Bluetooth
- AV adapter
- Sensor bar
- AC cable
Connect Wii to a projector via HDMI port
If you have a Wii, then you know that it doesn’t feature an HDMI port. Thus, it is impossible to connect a projector to a Wii directly through an HDMI cable. So, for this purpose, you will need a converter.
- Connect the HDMI cable to the projector and the other end to AV/RCA to HDMI converter.
- Now connect the video cables on the rear part of the adapter that has three ports.
- These colored ports must be connected in the right order for the connection to work flawlessly.
- Once done, turn the projector and see if it works. You can select your video source from the settings.
It is pretty simple and easy. All you need is a relevant adapter to connect both devices effortlessly.
Everything you should know about connecting Wii to a Projector
Ever since home projectors and theater systems have become a real thing, people are replacing their TVs with bigger, much more dynamic screens. Reason being, a projector offers far better viewing experience than a TV. it is wider, has way more versatility and it is very convenient for most people.
Not to mention, you get to watch your favorite movies on larger screens by paying half the money. TVs with bigger screens are expensive and will surely break your bank account. So, for an entertainment buff, having a projector in their home can be quite an achievement.
Moreover, it is portable. You can take a long your projector with the sheet anywhere you like. You can even take it on your camping trips to have a movie night with all your friends in the wilderness.
So, as you have read, there are various reasons why we encourage projectors over mainstream LEDs. But can you use it with a Wii for an incredible gaming experience as well? Surely you can!
Connect Wii to a projector via VGA cable
You will need a VGA cable and an RCA/VGA converter for this method to work.
- On the adapter, there is a yellow jack that will connect the yellow plug on the Wii.
- There are two ports at the back of the adapter i.e. S-video input port and an output port.
- Grab the VGA cable. Connect the cable to the VGA port on the projector and other end to the output port on the adapter.
- Once the wire has been connected, turn the projector on and see if the connection was successful.
In the last few years, projectors have gained so much popularity with the entertainment enthusiasts. Everyone is willing to invest in a projector considering the amount of versatility they offer. However, the decision does get a little tough when you can’t connect all your desired devices to the projector.
As you have read, connecting a Wii to a projector is no hassle. You just need the right adapters to do it. The process is effortless and you can start playing your favorite games before wasting any time.
Hopefully, this article has helped you understand how you can connect a Wii to a projector. Do leave us with your feedback below if this guide helped you out.